Sunday, April 11, 2010

This week I won the Bill Dayton Memorial Award, which is an award for Therapeutic Recreation majors who go "Above and Beyond" what is expected of them for the curriculum. We are expected to do 120 volunteer hours, as well as our two internships. During my life I have volunteered at Open Door Senior Center, completed 3000 volunteer hours at Saunders House, worked in the home of a woman with parkinson's disease, ran a carnival and some other events at Coatesville VA when my grandfather was there, currently work weekends on the dementia unit at Harlee Manor while working Monday - Friday at my internship, and I've presented at two professional TR conferences. So I guess that's above and beyond. It's a very prestigious award, and even has a cash prize, so I'm very very excited about it. Considering that I've never really won much of anything in my life, that makes it even better. Congrats also to Rachael who won Outstanding TR student of the Year, and Jamie, who won the John Noisette Memorial Award for leadership! I think we have some awesome graduates this year.

My internship's been going really well. I really like it at Stapeley in Germantown, and I just enjoy going there everyday. I guess I'm lucky to be having such a good experience.

I've been attending a lot of farewell parties at work places lately, and it really makes me think a lot about my last months at Saunders House. I did 3000 volunteer hours, worked as a receptionist for almost five years, and worked for the dietary and development departments also. Not to mention that I did ALL of my boss' work that she passed off as her own, because she was too busy talking on the phone to her daughters, surfing the internet, and making racist comments to people in front of their faces. After all that, I never even recieved a thank you card. But then again, I guess that's what happens when you work at a really really corrupt place. At that place they got rid of you if you actually knew what you were doing. So sad for the residents who are all still there. Oh well. A million times happier now in a place where i'm being recognized for my hard work and loyalty.

No comments:

Post a Comment