Friday, August 5, 2011

Religulous

You know what I really don't understand?

I don't understand why some Christians are so judge-y and adopt this whole holier-then-thou attitude towards the people around them. You know WHY I don't understand this? Maybe it's because I've actually read most of the bible for a religious studies class, and I seem to recall Jesus being loving and NOT judging others. In fact, I recall him preaching about love and acceptance.

That's why when I see people protesting homosexuality, all I can think about is if there is a hell, the protesters are most likely going there. NOT the people who they're protesting against.

It's also why when I see people protesting abortion clinics and throwing things at these young girls who most of the time are in extremely bad emotional states, all I can think about is how the protesters will more likely go to hell then these poor girls. Because they can't find it in their hearts to love and accept.

Why don't these people take some of the time that they've spent judging others, and put it into something useful and meaningful, such as volunteering at an animal shelter or a nursing home? Jesus preached love, not hate.

You know, I was actually told once by a guy that I was not good enough to date him because I wasn't Catholic....

Ummm.... your Pope was a Nazi, so if that's what your impression of a good Catholic is, then please, don't sign me up.

As far as just not being good enough: I don't need religion to make me a good person. For all the reasons listed above, I think I'm most likely better without it. Actually, that's not even a "most likely", because I already know I'm better then you (and you know who you are). I'm not going to sit here and make a complete list of why, but here's just a few:

1. Over 10,000 volunteer hours working with the elderly.
2. A job working with people with special needs to make their lives better. I could make more money elsewhere, but I like helping people too much, so I chose happiness over money.
3. I take my personal time to raise awareness about Alzheimer's Disease. Including leading a team for the Memory Walk, raising funds, and educating people at conferences.

And I could go on and on.

I choose to celebrate my spirituality by taking long walks on warm nights, and by spending my time helping people, and not by sitting in a pew on Sunday morning surrounded by a bunch of hypocrites with sticks up their asses (uh oh, I cursed. Now show me the place in the bible where it says its a sin).

Never ever imply that someone is not good enough to be with you ever again. Because just by implying that, and therefore judging them, they are already better then you.

(P.S. This is not meant to generalize all Christians. I know many who are actually fabulous people and are doing all they can to love and help others. This is only for those Christians who feel the need to judge and hate--- we all know some of them.)

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you have met so many of the wrong kind of supposedly Christian people - the ones who have the mistaken idea that they can judge other people, the ones who think that going to church = automatic ticket to heaven. You have the right impression about Jesus' ministry. Jesus made the point time and time again that God loves everyone, and we are supposed to do the same. That's true no matter who you are, what you look like, where you live, how you live, who you love, and what you believe. And if I believe that God loves everyone (and I do) how dare I hate? I'm glad you give as much of yourself as you do to others - that's what we should all be doing. And, I hope you meet some better people who understand how to live faith instead of how to force their ideas on others.

    ReplyDelete