Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Media Week in Review

Some stuff I've seen/heard/read lately and want to share/review.

Coraline - This was an amazing movie. I don't see many movies in theatres because I think it's a waste of money to spend $10-$12 of my hard earned dinaro's on something that I could get on my Netflix for $10/month (and I usually get 4-6 movies/month). But seriously, if you haven't seen this yet, which counts out approximately half of my blog readers (Danielle and Emily), then you must see this. In 3-D. If you don't see it in 3-D you're missing out. Not only was the story intriguiging and original, but the visuals were fantastic.

I'm Reed Fish - This is a movie that I bought after seeing it a few months ago on my Netflix. It's an independant flick, but it has Alexis Bledel (Gilmore Girls) and I love her. Anyway, the story is about a young guy whose parents are both dead, but he has his entire life laid out for him: he's inherited his father's radio news program and all of his parent's stuff, and he has an amazing fiance. He lives in a really small town and everyone knows everyone else's business. One day a girl who he used to have a crush on in high school, returns to the town on summer break from college... and I'm not going to say anything, because it would kinda ruin the movie. It's not really a chick flick, because the main character is a guy and it's all told from a guy's perspective, but it's interesting, and everyone should check it out. Plus, it's based on a true story.

Yesterday I started a book called S. by John Irving. I'll have to let you know how it is when I finish, but it's my train book, so it may be a while. So far it's really good though. It's written all in letters, and it's about a housewife in her fourties who leaves her husband because basically he's a prick. But I'm only about 25 pages in, so we'll see how it goes...

symphonysoldier.com This is the blog of Alex DeLeon a.k.a. "Singer". He's the lead singer from The Cab. If you want to see pretty much the ugliest animated picture of someone ever, you should check it out just to see his header. I love The Cab's music and I don't know much about it's members except their names and little bits that I've heard from other people, but this blog is pretty funny. I love how the blogs of the Fueled By Ramen crew drip with all of their self-important, arrogant bullshit all the time. Don't get me wrong, I love reading the stuff they post, but you can tell just by looking at some of the stuff they write, that they truly thing that they are the coolest, funniest, most clever guys around. Men are so silly. Oh, and if you want to see the UGLIEST band t-shirts ever made, check out the 2/6 post.

Folie a Deux - Fall Out Boy I finally got this CD. I was extremely resistant to getting it, because I really didn't like their last CD, Infinity On High. But it seemed that everywhere I went people were talking about how great it is. And it got excellent reviews in all of the media, so I figured that I would pick it up finally. Anyway, I popped it into my CD player and I had the whole love/hate thing going. In order for me to really love it, I have to pretend that it's not written by Fall Out Boy, because it is so drastically different then their other material. When I remove the band's name from the music, it's actually pretty great. I love dancing to it, and I think that tracks 2, 3, and 4 ("I Don't Care", "She's My Winona", and "America's Sweethearts") is probably one of the best track line-ups I've heard in a long time. When I relize it's FOB materical again, I want to rip my hair out.

A lot of people don't understand this I bet, because I think that most people only know what they've heard on the radio of Fall Out Boy. This probably includes, "This Aint A Scene" and other songs from Inifinity On High, and possibly "I Don't Care" and "America's Sweethearts" from the new CD. If you haven't listened to them from the beginning (not that I've been listening from the beginning, but at least from when their first two CDs came out), you won't hear the changes. I really really love old FOB. In fact, today I had my iPod on shuffle and some old FOB came on and it made me smile to hear the good old stuff that I used to rock out to. But the new stuff is good too. I have to learn how to be more open to change.

But you can hear the changes for yourself. Below I posted a few new FOB songs, and a few old ones.

I Don't Care (*NEW*)


America's Sweethearts (*NEW*) This is only a link, because embedding is disabled on ALL of the YouTube videos, but this is one of the best songs, and the video is really freaky.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc-wM6g-Oio

Saturday (*OLD*) from their first CD Take This To Your Grave


A Little Less '16 Candles', A Little More 'Touch Me' (*OLD*) From their second CD, From Under the Cork Tree. This one is a little bit of a movie. A vampire movie to be exact. You have to go into it a little ways for the actual song. Fellow FBR labelmates, Brendon Urie (Panic at the Disco), Travis McCoy (Gym Class Heroes) and William Beckett (The Academy Is), and Mike Carden (The Academy Is) also star.

No comments:

Post a Comment