Sunday, January 18, 2009

As promised on my Twitter post from last night, today I'm discussing my issues with True Blood. I admit, I have some ridiculous reasons for not really liking the show much, and some of my reasons actually come from a misunderstanding a few months back. You see, I am a Twilight fan, so upon realizing that a show was coming out that depicted a regular human girl falling in love with a vampire who doesn't drink human blood (not to mention that she reads minds), I was outraged. I thought, 'oh my god, this is exactly like Twilight, except instead of him reading minds, in True Blood, they have the girl as a mind reader'. I didn't realize until Thanksgiving that True Blood was based on books that were written before Twilight, so if anyone is to be blamed for stealing anyone's ideas, it's actually Stephenie Meyer. However, I'm stubborn and still refused to watch the show, until the other night when I was watching the new season of Supernatural on SideReel, and I decided that I wanted to check out the show, just to see what all of the fuss was about. I checked out the first episode and it left much to be desired. Along with the horrible horrible accents (I am not a fan of the drawl of the deep South, not to offend anyone, but it just isn't appealing to me at all) and Anna Paquin's hideous blonde hair, I couldn't stand any of the characters. Sookie was almost tolerable (but I have no patience for idiocy, or people who pretend to be idiots as she does in the first episode) and the manager of the bar was okay, but Sookie's friend was obnoxious, as was her brother and most of her co-workers. Even the vampire guy, who I would normally find sexy, was not an interesting character to me at all. At the end of the episode I was waiting for the epiphany that drawls so many of my friends and family members to the show, but instead, I was left not caring at all, with no desire to watch another episode. Maybe, out of all fairness I should give it another chance, afterall, it's a genre that I normally enjoy. And admittedly I haven't watched much of it, but from what I've seen, Paquin's performance did not warrent a Golden Globe over all of those other talented actresses. This is nothing against Anna Paquin, I generally like her (I'm an x-men fan and a Fly Away Home fan), but to me, this role doesn't seem Golden Globe worthy.

Switching topics, I want to say how deeply disappointed I am that I'm going to be in class during the Inauguration on Tuesday. Why, oh why did we have to go back to school on this historic day? Now, when people ask, where were you during the 2009 Inauguration, the most historic Inauguration in history probably, I'll get to answer with, "I was in lecture."... how fun.

Where will you be during the Inauguration?

3 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. I have english from 10:40 to 12:30, but I have a feeling that the professor will let us out a little early, especially because it's the first day of class and we're only going over the syllabus.

    If we get out early, I'll be heading over to the student center to hang out and watch in the tv lounge in there.

    Maybe before you judge anna's performance, you should watch more episode. To her defense, it was only the pilot, and usually actors get better and more used to the characters they're protraying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. honestly, i'm surprised that you don't love true blood!
    i, too, am a twilight fan (haha duh) but i LOVE that show! it's got its own stuff going on that's completely different than twilight if you get past the main stuff.
    and anna paquin is AWESOME in it! come on. give it a chance...

    ~emmaloo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, I was surprised too! After getting over the Twilight misunderstanding, I thought I really would like it, but the characters just annoyed me. I did say I would give it another chance though, and at some point I will watch another episode. AND I said that I like Anna Paquin, I just didn't think the role was deserving.

    ReplyDelete